Pshaw’s Lucky 13 for 2007
1. Popeye Vol. 1 [Fantagraphics] America’s first comic super hero from 1929 [Superman debuted in 1938] from the original Thimble Theatre newspaper comic strips. Matchless and defying all imitations [Boo! to the animated cartoons! Read the book.]. Sunday’s reprinted for the first time in full color. Arf Arf!
2. Little High People takes 7 & 8 [Complete Jack Johnson box: Miles Davis] Have replaced Kraftwerk on Bremen Radio as my temporary fave. Two Electric keyboards and organ, plus cuica and kazoo, nice!
3. Powr Mastrs Vol.1 [Picturebox] CF of the band Kites makes a big splash.
4. Ernst Haeckel 19th century German biologist,naturalist, and proto-psychedelic illustrator of sea creatures.
5. Ben Jones [member of Paper Rad] as inspirational as Gary Panter.
6. Ron Regé Jr. go to Plight of the Cartoon Utopian [http://ronrege.blogspot.com/]
8. MIT’s Joint Program on the Science & Policy of Global Change researching our climate dynamics on the Charles River.
9. Lucid Absinthe the green muse served up right in Allston, Mass.
10. Buddha’s Hand smells nice, looks weird!
11. Capital Reef National Park Utah dazzling geological wonder. Way far away from civilization, hardly any tourists or food!
12. Black Cat/White Cat [1998 Emir Kusturica] very entertaining and fun spirited. Great cast of characters.
13. Lazy Magnet He Sought For That Magic By Which All The Glory And Mystic Chivalry Were Made To Shine – or – Is Music Even Good?
[2007 Corleone CD] Jeremy Harris defends his title with a sense of Doom, and remains the Champ.
PShaw is PShaw. He’s been drawing the “Strings” comic strip for Arthur since No. 19.