“this is something i recorded on monday august 24th live in the marriage studio just letting it roll. no edits. raw as fuck. i had just downloaded all of these hip hop drum sample packs on http://4thehood.blogspot.com/search/label/Samplez got the manny fresh, polow da don and three 6 kitz, hence all the killer hand clap samples”
White Rainbow’s next release is New Clouds, a 2LP/1CD/MP3 via Kranky out October 19, 2009.
Windy & Carl’s “Undercurrent” from their 2001 album, Depths.
Los Angeles hosts some of the best bands in the country this weekend (if one were to judge such things based on the soundsystem at Arthur’s Atwater office and distribution center) creating a real stumper when it comes to Friday night. If you forgot to snatch tickets for the Animal Collective/Grouper show at the Wiltern and you’re sitting out on the Brightblack show in Eagle Rock for some reason, then might we suggest you consider Windy & Carl along with White Rainbow on Friday at Synchronicity Space? Local avant-dub banana-peelers Sun Araw are also on the bill, which is good news. Here’s the details:
Who: Windy & Carl, White Rainbow, Nudge, Fantastic Sleep, and Sun Araw Where: Synchronicity Space
4306 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90029 When: Friday May 29, 8pm to 12am How much: $5 More info:www.syncspacela.com
Adam “White Rainbow” Forkner explains his music to Pauly Shore.
And in case you’re going to be at either the AC or BBML happenings on Friday (or if you’re coming down from Dublab’s Tonalism up in Big Sur), you can still gorge yourself on gentle granola drones as Windy & Carl and White Rainbow will be playing on Saturday afternoon at Echo Curio.
Who: Windy & Carl, White Rainbow, Nudge Where: Echo Curio
1519 Sunset Blvd.
Echo Park, CA 90026 When: Saturday May 30, 3pm to 6pm How much: $5 donation More info: www.echocurio.com
Video of White Rainbow, ARP and Lichens’ improvisational accompaniment to Doug Aitken’s “Migration” Installation.
Adam Forkner, the guy behind maximum bliss-out drone project White Rainbow, has six different outlets by which enthusiasts of his inner space sounds can follow his activities. For those fans — such as your contributing editor — who were mostly oblivious to this WR media empire, Forkner has provided a digest update of his most recent activities on his old fashioned blog, or “Life Log.” Of particular interest:
• Upcoming shows with drone-happy lovebirds Windy & Carl take White Rainbow up and down the West Coast in late May 2009, with stops in Seattle, his home base of Portland, Big Sur and two shows here in Los Angeles. The Arthur Atwater office is raising its STOKED level to Red.
• Tracks for the next White Rainbow full length, New Clouds, have been delivered to the mastering dude, with a tentative September 2009 release date on Kranky.
• A WR collaborative EP with Stag Hare is due out “as soon as humanly possible” on Marriage Records.
• Stag Hare you ask? Stag Hare is a crunchy fellow from Utah, and his self-released album Black Medicine Music was the best ambient trail mix of 2008. Thanks to Forest Gospel for being the first to hip us to these nuts and berries desert ragas. Don’t sleep. Though its rustling drum pattering and Juniper-scented driftscapes may have pleasantly soporific effects.
• And new White Rainbow music is available RIGHT NOW and FOR FREE by way of audioblog Raven Sings The Blues, which posted its first compilation, RSTB Presents Vol. 1, back in mid-March. The comp also has top ranking earth psych and noisenik sounds from Wet Hair, Plastic Crimewave Sound, Sic Alps and more. Go get it here.
• Forkner is considering “qutting pizza” for his health. We feel you bro.
And that’s just the White Rainbow stuff. Click here to check out the full post with info on all of his doings.
We’ve been hungry for new White Rainbow jams for awhile now, so here’s a few other Forkner curated emanations that we discovered deep in the Gooogles …